2.05.2009

movie rec: king corn


One of my New Year's resolutions was to read more books. Subsequently, I've been "reading" a book on tape of The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. It is absolutely fantastic. It's about how our food is grown in this industrial age, and it was an eye opener for me.

Subsequently, when I saw this movie on the shelf at the library, I was interested because the first section of The Omnivore's Dilemma focuses specifically on industrial corn. The movie follows two college buddies who decide to go to a tiny town in Iowa where their great-grandfathers were raised, and grow one acre of corn. Their mission is to follow a corn crop from the beginning (seed) to the end (our bodies). If you like documentaries, or if you're interested in food at all, I'd highly recommend this movie. Or if you want to skip the movie and learn about grass-fed meat or sustainable farming, go here or here

No comments: