1.03.2009

save handmade...


Hope you had a great holiday! I'm ready for the new year, and all the possibility it holds!

With that in mind – I haven't posted about this earlier, because I was sure it would all work itself out, but all signs are pointing to the fact that come February 10th, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) will go into effect as it is written now. If you haven't heard of this act, it puts forth much more stringent safety measures for products (toys and clothing included) intended for children under the age of 12. It requires that all items be tested by a third-party lab, at costs that are prohibitive for any small business (thousands of dollars per item). 

While I'm all for enforcing the safety standards of mass-produced toys made in China and banning toxins like phthalates and lead, I know this law will effectively shut down my business and other makers of handmade clothing, as well as most small toy crafters and independent artisans, and small businesses that resell children's clothing and toys. What is ironic is that those of us who make our products by hand know that our products would pass the safety tests, we just can not afford the testing and labeling requirements involved. 

It's my hope that lawmakers can reevaluate the act, and come to a place where safety standards and the realities of small businesses work together to keep children safe. 

Go here to see five steps you can take to save these businesses (and mine!).

1 comment:

angiemoss said...

Oh no! I signed some petitions. Hope it helps!