5.06.2009

recipe: apple pie without the pie

The last few weeks, my supermarket has had some really good specials on huge bags of apples. Since there are only two of us, I have to come up with creative ways to use the apples, since even if we eat an apple a day, the bag still seems full even after a week. 

It's too hot for a full blown apple pie, so I'm sharing the way I've been cooking them, and you really must try it. The concoction tastes like apple pie filling, but I'm convinced that it's pretty healthy. We've been using it as a side dish, but I think it would also be delicious as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream. 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What you need:
4 apples (the ones I use are Fujis, which I've read are good for cooking)
About 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
About 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Not Aunt Jemima, but real maple syrup. Mine is "Cooking Maple Syrup".
A couple of dashes of cinnamon
Note: My measurements are pretty loosey goosey, so you can put as much/little of these ingredients as you want. I think mine are different every time.

Peel and core the apples, then cut them in smaller slices. Not too thick. Heat a skillet on medium heat, then add the butter and apples. Stir this together until the apples are coated with the butter. Then pour the maple syrup over everything and stir. Then, add your cinnamon. Cook all of this for about 5 or 6 minutes,  stirring often. You'll be able to tell when they're done when the apples become soft. 

2 comments: